skip to Main Content
All grants are subject to availability
Warma UK Logo
Open Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before the 5th of August 1953 and are receiving the State Pension or other social security benefit, you could be entitled to the Winter Fuel Payments.

What are winter fuel payments?

If you were born on or before the 5th of August 1953 and are receiving the State Pension or other social security benefit, you could be entitled to the Winter Fuel Payments. These payments can range from £100 to £300 and can go a long way towards paying your heating bills over the winter months. As it can get very cold for long periods of time over the winter, you will need to put your heating on more often, thus your energy bills will increase substantially.

The money is paid automatically, usually between November and December, and the amount that you will receive depends on your specific circumstances. Another bonus of the Winter Fuel Payments is that they will not affect any of your other benefits and all of the money you receive is tax-free. 

How To Qualify?

In order to be eligible to receive the Winter Fuel Payment, you must have been born on or before the 5th of August 1953 and be receiving the State Pension or other qualifying social security benefit. You also must have lived in the UK for at least one day of the “qualifying week,” which for the winter of 2017 was the 18th to the 24th of September 2017. Alternatively, you may not have lived in the UK during the qualifying week but still be eligible if you live in Switzerland or some of the other European Economic Area (EEA) countries and you have lived or worked in the UK for a large portion of your life. There are certain countries that do not make you eligible, including France, Spain, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Malta, Greece and Portugal, due to the warmer temperatures experienced in these countries over the winter months.

If you are eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment, you should get it automatically. However, sometimes this doesn’t happen, and, in this case, you must make a claim. Circumstances that require a claim include if you are not on any benefits or do not receive the State Pension, if you do receive any of these but live in Switzerland or any of the qualifying EEA countries, or if you have deferred your State Pension. You will also need to make a claim if you have never received the Winter Fuel Payment before.

Contact Information For Winter Payments

You can make a claim by telephone by calling the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

Telephone: 0800 731 0160

Telephone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 7777

Textphone: 0800 731 0464

Textphone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 7280

You will need to have your National Insurance Number and bank or building society details to make a claim. If you are claiming from Switzerland or an EEA, you will need to have your BIC and IBAN numbers. You will also need the date you were married or entered into a civil partnership if appropriate. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)​

Winter Fuel Payment claims can be made over the phone or by post.

The deadline for you to make a claim for winter 2022 to 2023 is 31 March 2023.

Call the Winter Fuel Payment Centre to claim by phone.

Claim by post

Fill in a Winter Fuel Payment claim form for UK residents and send it to the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

You can receive the Winter Fuel Payment even if you don’t reside in the UK only if:

  • You moved to an eligible nation before January 1, 2021
  • You were born before September 26, 1956
  • You have a real and substantial connection to the UK, such as having worked or lived there; having family there; or both.

You might get between £250 and £600 to help with your heating bills if you were born before September 26, 1956.

An allowance for “Pensioner Cost of Living” is included in the amount you get.  This is between £150 and £300. 

This benefit will be available in both the winters of 2022-2023 and 2023-2024. This is in addition to any other Cost of Living Payments you may receive as part of your benefit or through tax credits.

Individuals, not households, receive the payment.

People will, however, receive less money if they live with someone who also qualifies.
If you and your partner claim any of the benefits jointly,
One of you will receive one of the following payments:

£500 if both of you were born between September 26th, 1942 and September 25th, 1956.
£600 if either of you was born before September 26, 1942.

Apply For Your Government Backed Heating Grant

Following your successful application, we will arrange a free, no obligation survey to ensure the maximum grant is obtained and advise you on the best products to reduce your homes energy usage.

What our customers say

Barry Jones
Home Owner
Read More
had boiler replaced two weeks ago , everything went smoothly as I have been expecting, engineers came on site spot on time everything boiler is working good , place left tidy , i am impressed with Company Warma , definitely would give 5 star
Malcom Brett
Home Owner
Read More
Don’t often do reviews but felt this warranted one. A little slow getting the fitting date sorted out but once this had been sorted everything was plain sailing from start to finish. Can’t fault the engineer who fitted my combi boiler. Nothing was to much trouble to him, explained everything has he went along. Would recommend without hesitation.
David Garrod
Home Owner
Read More
The old boiler and tank were removed and the new condensing boiler fitted by the two installers from XL Heating. They were friendly, informative and tidy, working well as a team for two days. So far very happy.

Customer Services Are Open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.